Thursday, April 18, 2013

Birthday Week!

Dear Family,
Well, first of all, thank you for all of the Birthday wishes! It's so strange to be 22, serving a mission, and living in AK.  I had a great birthday, aside from the snow, and was able to spend it doing just regular missionary work.  Sister H made me breakfast, then we went and did some service bottle feeding 3 week old boxer puppies {sooooo cute!}, did some family history, went to get pie and hot cocoa w/ Stacey our investigator that "dropped" us {she called us up a couple of weeks ago saying she really missed us and wanted to see us, so she's back in our lives again, and we are so happy! People definately can feel the void when the Spirit is out of their lives.}, and ate dinner with the ever-wonderful Calhoun family -- they made my fave beef stroganoff and bought me flowers and an ice cream cake. :) I was spoiled with wonderful gifts from my friends out here in the field, and sung to so many times my face was permanently red.  It was wonderful!

I forgot to tell ya'll the cool thing that happened last Sunday.  We were sitting at dinner talking about our favorite church singers/musicians and the member we were eating with asked if we liked Hilary Weeks.  We answered, 'OF COURSE' and then he proceeded to tell us he was her brother and called her up on the phone! We got to talk to her for quite a few minutes and talk about music.  It was awesome :) Just one of those really cool, random stories that I thought I'd share.  If you don't know who she is, look up her some "Beautiful Heartbreak" on youtube.  It's my fave. 

Welp, we put our investigator, Allison, on date this week while I was on exchanges with Sister Grayson.  It was amazing! We planned to teach Lesson 2 -- the plan of salvation, because that was the lesson that was next.  However, while I was doing personal study and reading over PMG and the pamphlet, L2 just didn't feel right.  So, in my opening prayer for comp study the Spirit told me to bring up Baptism.  As I told Sister Grayson that, we began thinking about what her needs are and how we can talk about baptism.  Sister Grayson was then prompted that we should talk about the gift of the Holy Ghost, so we really dove our study time together into that and were really excited for the lesson.  We had NO intention of inviting her to be baptized {I know, I know, we're bad, scared missionaries} going into the lesson.  However, the spirit prompted me 2 or 3 different times to invite her to be baptized.  As I did she got the biggest smile on her face and accepted.  Her date is May 25th and she is very excited.  It was such a neat experience.  I really love being able to have the Holy Ghost prompt me to do things that benefit others in such a huge way.  We're excited for her.  Her baptism date is after transfers, so I probably won't be around, but that's okay.  The important thing is that she makes this step in her life and receives the Holy Ghost for herself. 

So all in all it was a great week! Hopefully the sun is gone for good and we can start "warming up",  I only wear a light jacket now, and only if it's below 25 degrees.  I'm a true Alaskan now. :) Love ya'll! Have a great week!

xoxo,
Sister Hatfield

No comments:

Post a Comment