Thursday, April 11, 2013

Follow...

Dear Family,

Sorry it's been a few weeks since I've sent an email out.  Work has been really busy here in Rabbit Creek and Bush Branch.  On top of that, things get complicated and hard in the mission - just like in real life- and I was just dealing with some of that stuff.  I don't have muvh time to write, but I do want to write about some cool experiences we've had, all having to do with following the spirit. 

At the beginning of my mission I decided that I was going to follow every single thought/prompting I had, so that those around me wouldn't miss our on any blessings because I wasn't willing to listen.  I've had a lot of really neat experiences with this on my mission and a lot have happened in the last few weeks.

First, I had a prompting to write someone in my last area, PSG.  This woman is someone that I love and miss dearly, but I hadn't written since I left.  I felt impressed to write her and see how she was doing.  Seems completely normal, and I like nothing out of the ordinary, right?  So, I got a letter back from her stating how much she really needed my letter and how perfect my timing was because of some personal things she has been dealing with. 

Second, last week as we were driving down the street I had a thought, "Go see the V family".  Again, nothing seemingly pressing, unique, or unusual.  But, we did it.  As we went to visit them, we just say and talked about some of the trials they were going through.  Bro V had lost his job here in AK and because of that they had to move back to their home in UT.  I love these people more than I can express with words and it broke my heart to hear that news.  As we talked we began to look back on some fun experiences we've had togetherand just laughed [we're really good at that!].  I had been having a really rough few days before that so just being able to sit and laugh with some wonderful people truly brightened my spirits.  As we were saying goodbye, I shared one of my absolute favorite scriptures with them in 1 Nephi 9:6.  I bore my testimony about how much I know that God is aware of each of us and our needs.  When the Lord uses the word "all" in the scriptures, He means ALL.  Nothing left out, no one left unnoticed.  Sister V told us a few days later that we changed their entire day.  They had been having a very difficulte morning that morning, and we turned it all around with some laughs and a quick spiritual thought. 

Third, Sister Hedelius and I were talking the other day about our Investigator, Bernard.  We were discussing how we can help him move forward and progress.  Sister H felt impressed to read the Book of Mormon with him and to have him write down a question he has, and promise him that he will find the answer as we read together.  We both feld really good about doing this, so we did.  [Side note: it's really scary thing to promise someone that God will answer their questions right then and there, even when you know for a fact He will.  I was sweating major bullets!] I cannot tell you how amazing the lesson with Bernard was.  He found his answer, and I found the answer to the question I was seeking to have answered as well.  It was incredible! By the end of the lesson he had committed to be baptized and is now on date for May 19th [or sooner!]

These are just three of THOUSANDS of my experiences.  It is incredible the things we can do when we follow the promptings of the spirit.  These are the moments that make my mission worth it.  I have learned so much over the last 9 months of being a missionary, but the most important is that I can be a toold in the hands of the Lord as long as I am willing to trust Him, and the promptings He gives me each and every day.  I can't say that I have loved every second, minute or day of my mission but I can say that for all the bad, hard, sad times I have had, I have experienced so many wonderful things that completely overpower and outweigh all the negative.  I love this work and am so proud to be a part of it for another 7.5 months. 

I love you all, and hope ya'll have a fabulous week!

Love always,
Sister Hatfield

No comments:

Post a Comment